Here you will find other useful materials and information.
Hickman County is named for Captain Paschal Hickman of the 1st Rifle Regiment, Kentucky Militia. Formed from portions of Livingston and Caldwell Counties in 1821, its initial territory
comprised the entire Jackson Purchase. Columbus, in the northwest of the county on the Mississippi River, was the original county seat. A log structure built in 1823 served as the courthouse. In 1830, the county seat was moved to the more centrally located Clinton.
Early in the American Civil War, the Confederate Army established Fort de Russey on the strategically located bluffs across the river from Belmont, Missouri. General Ulysses S. Grant attacked Belmont in November 1861, his first battle of the war, but was defeated by Confederate troups from Columbus. The site of the Battle of Belmont is now a state park.
Population (2010): 4,902
Land Area: 244.44 Square Miles
Water Area: 8.49 Square Miles
Population Density: 20.05 people per square mile
Cost of Living Index: 78.3 (low, U.S. average is 100)